Products Warranty Terms & Conditions
Limited Warranty for the Products
Effective date: 1st April 2016
This limited warranty (this “Warranty”) is provided to end-user purchaser (“you”) of a Brother-branded multifunctional center, facsimile machine, printer, typewriter, labeler, sewing machine, and any other products that Brother International (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. (“Brother” or “Manufacturer”) sells in Malaysia (the “Product”).
Contact Information of Brother:
Address: Unit T1-L5, Level 5, Tower 1, Jaya 33, No. 3, Jalan Semangat, 46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan
Telephone: 603-7884 9999
This Warranty applies only to purchases made in Malaysia on or after the effective date identified above, and only covers genuine Brother-branded products. This Warranty is only valid in Malaysia and is subject to the laws of Malaysia.
Brother reserves the right to amend or modify the terms and conditions of this Warranty without prior notice.
To the extent permitted by local law and subject to the terms of this Warranty, Brother will, at its option, render the Product to an operational condition as intended by Brother’s specifications free of charge, where there is a fault with the Product which is a consequence of the Manufacturer’s defect in materials or workmanship. To be eligible for this Warranty, you must provide Brother with notice of a defect during the Warranty period in accordance with the Warranty claim procedures indicated below.
1. Warranty Period
The Warranty period varies from 12 to 36 months, depending on the model of the Product. The Warranty period for each of the Product models may be found here.
The Warranty period starts from the date you purchase the Product and ceases upon the expiration of the period. Your original purchase invoice (sales receipt or order confirmation e-mail), showing the date of purchase and product description, is your proof of the date of purchase.
In addition, this Warranty only applies to the initial purchase by you and Brother’s obligations under this Warranty cease anytime when the Product is rented, sold or otherwise disposed of by you.
2. Warranty Claim Procedures
Your Product must be registered with Brother before a Warranty claim may be processed. Therefore, it is important to register your Product upon purchase of the Product.
(a) How to Register your Product with Brother
You shall register your Product with Brother in a manner and within the time period stipulated on or in the packaging of the Product. Depending on the model of the Product, you may register your Product in the following way:
(i) Where Brother permits the Warranty to be registered online, you shall register Products at the online registration page here. Please note that Warranty is registered only upon the customer receiving Brother’s confirmation e-mail that expressly (i) states that the Warranty is successfully registered and sets out your Warranty registration number, and (ii) reconfirms the Product’s model and serial number and your e-mail address. If you do not receive Brother’s confirmation e-mail, it means that your Warranty is not registered; please contact Brother’s Customer Service (“Customer Service”) at Brother’s contact information provided above for further assistance. For every successful online warranty registration, there will be additional 90 days warranty if it is registered within fourteen (14) days from the date of purchase.
(b) How to Make a Warranty Claim
If you register your Product with Brother in accordance with the above, you may make a Warranty claim within the Warranty period in accordance with the procedures below, provided however that you will not be entitled to a Warranty claim if your Product or defect falls under one of the exclusions under “Section 3 - Warranty Exclusions and Limitations” of this Warranty:
1) If you experience any issue with your Product, please contact our Customer Service at the contact details provided above and follow our instructions on troubleshooting procedures.
2) If the issue cannot be resolved by troubleshooting, our support staff will refer you to the nearest Brother’s authorized service center (or, you may alternatively find our authorized service centers here), and provide instructions on how to make your Warranty claim. Please provide sufficient details to enable us to assess the claim.
Brother offers two types of Warranty services: “Carry-in Warranty” and “Onsite Warranty”. For any inquiries on the type of Warranty service that your Products are eligible for, please refer to the list here or contact our Customer Service.
Carry-in Warranty Service
“Carry-in” warranty services mean repairing service for your Products by Brother or Brother’s authorized service center’s technicians at a place designated by Brother. Where the Warranty service type is “Carry-in,” you will be solely responsible to deliver and transport the Product, including payment for the delivery charges for sending to and receiving the Product from Brother’s authorized service center.
The name and telephone number of Brother’s authorized service center near you may be obtained from Brother’s website here or by calling our Customer Service. You will need to include your proof of purchase with the warranted Product. Any damage caused during transportation by failing to package the Product correctly will not be covered by this Warranty.
Onsite Warranty Service
“Onsite” warranty services mean repairing services for your Products performed by Brother or Brother’s authorized service center’s technicians at your designed place. To be eligible for Onsite Warranty service, (i) your Product must be one that Brother categorizes as an “on-site” Product in this table(which may be amended by Brother from time to time), and (b) you must be situated within a 35km radius from any of Brother’s authorized service centers. If you meet these requirements, Brother will dispatch its or Brother’s authorized service center’s technician to where the Product is situated.
Please contact our Customer Service to find out if you are within an area where the Onsite Warranty service is available.
Extra mileage fee will be imposed to you if the location exceeds the 35km radius.
Any onsite general service (including demonstration, installation, etc.) may be chargeable to you after the initial two visitations.
Additionally, you may alternatively elect to be covered by Carry-in Warranty Service.
(c) What Brother will do
Once your Warranty claim is received by Brother, Brother will investigate the cause of the problem, and if the fault with the Product is a consequence of the Manufacturer’s defect in materials or workmanship, Brother will, at its option, repair, replace, or refund the Product.
To the extent permitted by local law, Products presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished products of the same type, rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the Product. Replacement of the Product or a part does not extend or restart the Warranty period.
Repair of Products may result in loss of data. Brother is not liable for any loss of data stored in the Products. If a Product presented for repair is capable of retaining user-generated data, you are advised that repair of the Product may result in loss of the data.
All component parts or hardware products removed under this Warranty become the property of Brother unless otherwise stipulated by applicable local law.
In the unlikely event that your Product has recurring failures or Brother determines it is unable to repair or replace the Product, Brother, at its option, may elect to give you a refund or credit of your purchase price instead of a replacement.
Brother or its authorized service center, to the extent permitted by local law, may seek reimbursement from you of any reasonable costs incurred by them if the Products are found to be in good working order or where the problem falls under any of the Warranty exclusions and limitations. Reasonable costs may include transportation costs and parts and labor costs.
3. Warranty Exclusions and Limitations
This Warranty does not apply to maintenance kits (periodic or otherwise), accessories and consumable items and does not extend to any Product from which the serial number has been removed. In addition, this Warranty does not cover any of the followings:
- normal wear and tear;
- any damages, defects, malfunctioning, and/or non-functioning of consumables which by nature require periodic replacement, including the following:
For printers and fax machines: panels, batteries, power cables, consumable items (toner/ink/ribbon cartridge, drum unit), trays (paper, document, MP), belt unit, rubber and plastic parts, periodical parts – print head, ink absorber, fuser unit, laser unit, PF Kit, PF Kit MP, Document Scanner Unit ;
For labelling machines and pocket jet printers: plastic front panel, batteries or adaptor, cutter, consumable items and accessories (tape cartridge, roll, paper roll holder);
For home sewing machines: plastic front panel, light bulb, foot controller, consumable items and accessories; and
For typewriters: plastic front panel, power cable, covers, consumable items and accessories (correction/ribbon tape and daisy wheel) and head holder assy.
- any damages and failures arising from any usage, attachment, installation or connection to, in or with the Product, of any non-genuine products (including consumables, accessory, hardware, equipment, part or programs);
- any damages, dents, defacement, scratches, stains, or marks however caused to the Product’s external covers/panels;
- any damages, defects, malfunctions or non-functioning to or in the Product howsoever arising from, caused by or incidental to any external cause (including accidents, fire, lightning, Act of God, exposure to water or moisture, or caused by insects, pests or of whatever kind, or caused by or during any or any attempted burglary, theft and/or riot), and any corrosion, rust, staining or any other such like matters;
- any damages and failures arising from any abuse and/or negligence of any end-users or third parties, howsoever defined;
- any damages and failures arising from the use of the product contrary to its manuals and/or users guides;
- any damages and failures arising from the services (including but not limited to any modification, disassembling or repair) in relation to the products given by any service providers or personnel not authorized by Brother;
- any damages and failures arising from or due to external effects such as power supply (including fluctuations) and phone line;
- any malfunction, defects, or damage arising from shipping or storage of products;
- falsification of serial number of devices, serial number of Warranty certificate or the date;
- the dropping of any object, fluid inside the products or its mechanical parts;
- setup of products in a location exposed to direct sunlight, blocked ventilation slots, unstable surface, power extension cords or adaptors, insufficient space, extreme temperatures;
- any products that are not properly installed, maintained, stored or used; or
- any damages and failures due to virus, infection, worm, or similar malicious code not introduced by Brother.
Upon occurrence of any of the following events, Brother may, at its sole discretion, immediately terminate the Warranty and treat the Warranty as null and void. Upon such termination, Brother will no longer be liable or responsible to carry out any Warranty Work for your Product due to any defect even if it is still within the Warranty Period.
- any assignment, sale or transfer of the Product by the customer to any other party;
- any adjustment, modification, maintenance, service, repair or work of whatever kind carried out to the Product by any party that is not duly authorized by Brother;
- any act, deed or thing done not in accordance with (i) the information or manual supplied with the Product, or (ii) Brother’s instructions howsoever given and wherever contained;
- any abuse (including rough handling/transportation), negligent act or use, misuse, tampering or wrongful management of the Product, including failure or neglect to maintain the correct environmental conditions such as air quality, humidity or temperature, or failure to maintain the correct and proper inspection, maintenance and service schedules recommended for the Product); or
- any damage or tampering of the serial number on the Product, or any alteration to the Warranty certificate, Warranty’s registration number or Product’s proof of purchase;
BROTHER MAKES NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTY OR CONDITION WHETHER WRITTEN OR ORAL AND, ONLY TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, BROTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS NOT STATED IN THIS WARRANTY.
TO THE EXTENT THAT THE ABOVE WARRANTY SERVICES AND TERMS OR ANY PART THEREOF IS INCONSISTENT WITH LOCAL LAW, THE WARRANTY SERVICES AND TERMS OR THE CORRESPONDING PART SHALL BE DEEMED MODIFIED TO BE CONSISTENT WITH SUCH LOCAL LAW. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT LAWFULLY PERMITTED, THIS WARRANTY DO NOT EXCLUDE, RESTRICT, OR MODIFY BUT ARE IN ADDITION TO THE MANDATORY STATUTORY CONSUMER RIGHTS APPLICABLE TO THE SALE OF THIS PRODUCT TO YOU.